Thursday, May 05, 2016

Well worth a visit

Last week I was passing through the Shropshire town of Craven Arms and found an interesting looking place called The Land Of Lost Content. Now I like the weird and wonderful, which might explain my fascination with Dutch pirates (!), so I stepped inside to take a look around. 

On three different levels, the building, which you can see below, is literally packed from floor to ceiling with all sorts of paraphernalia from the last 50 years. It is the lifetime collection of one lady and her husband and charts British life through the ages with artefacts from each and every era. 

Remember the Sinclair C5? The museum has one. Remember the Aztec bar? It was Cadbury's answer to the Mars bar, first produced in 1967 and discontinued some time in the 1970s. There is one of those on show too.


You may ask what all this has to do with radio . . . well, one of the 32 exhibitions is a fascinating collection of radios with all sorts of receivers dating back many years. There are shelves of transistor models and the valve radios that grace the studios of most Dutch pirates. In fact, I can think of several pirates who have a similar collection to that on show in the museum. I'd have loved to switch some of them on and whip out a loop antenna!

Sadly, they do not permit photography, otherwise I would have taken plenty of pictures to show you. I can thoroughly recommend a visit if you are ever in the area. I've seen nothing like it before and will definitely be visiting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment