Monday, September 02, 2013

Celebrating a pirate legend

During this very week 40 years ago a pirate legend was born. On September 4, 1973 Radio Barones hit the airwaves for the very first time. Since that first broadcast the station has thrilled pirate listeners and dxers the world over and the name has become synonymous with a power-packed signal, superb modulation and with programmes like no other pirate.

I met the man behind the microphone for the first time in 1993. He welcomed me into his home and into his studio and we have been friends ever since. I have visited him many times since that first meeting and he came to England last year when I got married. 

The appeal of Barones goes far and wide. And so does the signal. The station remains the only Dutch MW pirate to have been heard in Japan without the use of web receivers. 



Barones has been off air this year due to various reasons, and I have lost count of the number of people who have asked me where this great station has gone. I am sure he will be back on air in the coming months but, in the meantime, for fans across the world, and to celebrate four decades as a pirate, I am going to present a different recording of the station for the next five days. To make them easier to listen to, I have made each recording into a YouTube movie. So, sit back, relax and enjoy the first instalment of this legend of the airwaves . . .

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Radio Barones! He actually started broadcasting the day after I was born, although I believe that he originally used a different name, according to a piece in Pirate Chat magazine around 1993.

    To my knowledge, Barones is one of the longest standing pirate stations in Europe. Laser Hot Hits (founded Radio Gemini in 1972) just pips him to the post - unless anyone knows better?

    I am having some redecs done upstairs, but when I get the chance, will scan my old QSL from Barones and mail it to you.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Barones 'Power' Station was my first MW pirate heard and then just on a domestic radio. It was just over 2 years ago and I've not stopped listening to MW pirates since. Thanks 'Baro'.

    ReplyDelete